<VV> Manuals...? My rantings and More

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jun 26 03:36:24 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/25/2005 8:45:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kirbyasmith at gwi.net writes:

Heh!  And I recall once screaming to an uncaring universe: Why  can't my
Audi manuals be as clear as my Corvair  manuals!

kirby

They could have, at least, translated them from German! <grin>

I remember reading a 1959 Honda Dream 250 Motorcycle manual. It could have
been written by Dave Berry - on an acid trip.  It was like they took each
Japanese word and translated it to an English word - but left the syntax and
grammar in Japanese. (This is a guess, I spoke only enough Japanese to get
something I really, really wanted while on R&R in Tokyo in 1969) The  manual was the
kind of stuff you would read to your friends over a beer and  laugh about. I
have heard that Honda builds better stuff since then.

Now, about the Corvair manuals. Yes, they were intended for a mechanic and
written by engineers. Of course the education level of their target was a  8th
grade education - but with plenty of real world experience and some GM
training. (This was the 60's) I spent the two years after high school  (after the
Army, really) going through an Automotive Technology program and  received an AA
degree. But at age 25, and with 10 years of car building and  rebuilding
experience, I could have been teaching most of the classes. But  dealer mechanics
today go through a pretty thorough training. They are also  supported by more
complete manuals. The electronic component of todays cars  pretty much demands
it, especially for troubleshooting.

The Corvair is, by far, the best supported "vintage" car for publications.
Between the factory shop manuals (intended for working on newer vehicles - not
on 40 year old rusty and worn cars) the Corsa Tech Guides, the Basics book -
And  of course, the support books from Bob Helt, Richard Finch, the How to
Hotrod  Corvair book and a bunch of new books on A/C and other items.  It is a
wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette