<VV> Manuals

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Jun 26 04:29:24 EDT 2005

Folks.
     I didn't have the same problems as Alesia did with manuals, but of course in 87 we didn't have a group like this one!
    If you're going to the shop manual to learn how to hang a set of brakes, forget it. You're already supposed to know how to do that. The CORSA tech guide won't go step by step with you, and I don't have my copy at home but I don't think the Basics Manual will either.

 One of the first things I did was fully mentally digest the Clark's Catalog. I had the basic knowledge of automobiles, but to fully restore anything was something I hadn't ever dreamed about. My wife used to laugh at me for all the time I spent with it. Alesia, if you don't have the Clark's and Wall's catalog, it's time to buy them.

And at the MININUM, a semester of basic automotive night school would do you a world of good. Not to slander your gender of course, but most of us learned what you might call the basics when we were much younger because cars was something most boys were interested in at a much younger age.  We took auto shop in junior high when the girls were FORCED to take Home Economics.  Much more learned under the shade tree from relatives and neighbors working on their machines. I know one of the first things I learned is how long it takes to wax a black 59 Chevy Parkwood Station Wagon with (early 60's vintage) Simoniz--I'ts a good 8 full hour job, and then some!

So Alesia, you have some catching up to do. We're here to help. But as one poster said, don't be mad at the book, it isn't the book's fault.  You can improve your knowledge level, and the books will make MUCH more sense.

Hank