<VV>Fan HP

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Mon Jun 27 07:36:52 EDT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 4:56 PM, Stephen Upham wrote:

> If the engine runs cooler without the lower shrouds, then why did the
> Gen. install them on every car.  I'm not trying to be a horse's
> patute, I really want to know what the down side (if any) might be of
> running an engine without the shrouds (assuming that I ever get my 110
> together and running again).

The heater hardly works without the shrouds on. You will get a little
heat, but not much.

Warm ups take longer which isn't good for the engine. This isn't much
of a factor in the summer, but is in the winter. If the car is only
driven short distances, the oil will never warm up in cold weather.
Don't forget by "warm up" we're not talking cylinder head temps, we're
talking about getting the oil warm - hot enough to get rid of
contaminants etc.

Also, when you drive through water, you'll get a lot of moisture blown
into the car if you have the heater or defroster on. If the defroster
is on this will show up as condensation on the inside of the
windshield. If you have air conditioning you can turn it on and use it
like a dehumidifier or defroster, just like new cars do.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC