<VV> Stupid mistake from the past ;-)

Guus de Haan guusdehaan at wanadoo.nl
Mon Jun 27 13:00:48 EDT 2005

Hi All,

A while back Grant Young asked around if anybody had an idea how a
Carter YHb could collect so much soot inside the choke housing. Well
that was my carb and the general consensus was it was due to the
exhaust blowing soot into the carb. This can come in through the
choke thermostat lines from the bottom of the turbo if the seal leaks.

So I bought some new gaskets from Grant including one for the exhaust
to turbo housing. After removing the turbo I expected to see the
gasket but it wasn't there. Looking up closely I noticed it was there
but below the exhaust flange between that and the sheet metal support
and then I remembered...

Due to the special build (two sheets of aluminium with something
between them) of the gasket I thought it to be an heat insulator for
the sheet metal so I installed it there. That means the car has
always been running without this gasket in place. I can imagine that
might have influenced the problems I have with my carb flooding. This
way the exhaust has always more or less pressurized the carb housing.
Then after taking apart the different parts I took out the old gasket
and installed everything again with the new gasket where is should.

Now I have another question. I'm thinking about installing the
gaskets of the chrome induction tube (the one from the turbo to the
engine) with some extra sealant. Somehow these thin gaskets do not
look like they will actually seal and I want to be sure it's leak
free this time! What is your opinion?

Regards,

Guus
The Netherlands