<VV> RE: fan HP

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jun 27 17:23:10 EDT 2005

Yes and no ... The Heater/Defogger is indeed non-existent without them, but
they also do serve a useful purpose in 1) letting the engine get fully to
operating temperature and 2) Letting it do this QUICKLY, getting through the
high wear zone in a minimum period of time.

Years ago, when my Dad and I were going to look at lots of Vairs for sale,
we notice a very STRONG correlation between the ones with failed/missing
thermostats and the ones with "mayonnaise" under the oil cap.  These cars
weren't heating up fully/properly/or often enough and the engines suffered
as a result.

I drive about 12 miles to work.  With the shrouds on, the oil sump
temperature stabilizes by the time I am about halfway there. With the
shrouds off, it isn't stabilized (and it's far below the condensate boil-off
point) even after 12 miles.

Taking the shrouds off does have some merit, in certain circumstances.  I
did so last year when we drove the car from NY to KY. I probably didn't need
to, but it bought me some cooling margin on the high speed long hot trip.
It is a terrible idea to do for the majority of us in temperate climates who
just drive 10 or 15 miles at a time to shows, cruise meets, etc.  You aren't
doing the engine any favors.

Jim Burkhard