<VV> rebodied corvairs

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Jun 28 11:34:37 EDT 2005

Dave
let me respond both as Officer Donut(former Deputy Sheriff) and also as a Corvair enthusiast.

1. There is a "secret" vin number put on the body of the car. You have to remove the front X member (at least on a late) to see it.

2. To rebody a car by changing the vin plate from one car to another is ILLEGAL!!! In all 50 states and in just about every country with civilized laws and justice systems.
The only saving grace is that if you sold it to the average joe, they would never know that a secret vin exists, and wouldn't know where to look for it. But depending on who ends up buying it, this COULD come back to bite ya.

I would recommend that if you intend to do this (and it IS done, but those who do it don't discuss it openly)

I suggest that you DON'T EVER try to sell it. Keep the car in the family, and let your heirs and successors know if they want to keep their butts out of jail in the event of your demise, THEY better not try to sell it either.

CORSA does not condone this. They will NOT accept ads for vin tags--Body Plates or Titles online or in the Magazine.. This is due to the illegality of the practice.

As a Corvair enthusiast, who wants to see as many cars saved and put on the road and kept there, I shut my eyes to this.

Hank