<VV> Re: Synthetic Blends

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 13:27:33 EDT 2005

I have used Amsoil 100% (NO CRUDE) oils, greases, etc.. in virtually
every engine, car, outboard, mower, etc.. I've owned since 1979.  I use
10W-40 in my Corvair and my Edsel, and have used this weight in all
"old" cars I've owned. I use their 5W-30 in my modern cars. I've NEVER
been disappointed with the results.  I could probably go on for hours
about the benefits..but they're all pointed out on sites like the
Amsoil web page and many other independent pages. Now, of course, most
all oil companies offer a synthetic, and offer substantial benefits
over crude oil.  Everyone can argue the points for one or the other
till they're blue in the face, but until you've tried it, don't knock
it. I have seen and experienced myself over 29 years of synthetic
use...cleaner engine innards, cooler operating, better mileage, a
teensy bit more horsepower (actuatlly demonstrated to me on my First
Edsel back in the 70's, on a dyno, after an oil change), and cars that
crank and start like gangbusters when parked outside when it's 40
degrees below zero, when the neighbors cars would hardly crank if at
all.  I have not experienced the claim that synthetic oil will cause
your old car to leak, althought I have heard of this, particularly if
you have an old car that already leaks some...synthetic tend to clean
up the gook that's holding those old seals together.  This has not
happened on my Edsel after driving it on synthetic for 14 years, nor on
my Corvair.
Benefits like better mileage and horsepower are demonstrated the best
of larger motors...like the Edsel and my old Surburban, as reduced
friction is most noticable in something with the most friction
potential of course.
I would point you to the Amsoil site to look at the various test
results vs other traditional and synthetic oils. You may think it's a
lot of propaganda on their site since it's their job to sell the stuff,
but tests are done by independent labs, and numbers don't lie. You can
look at other oil comanies web sites for their synthetic specs, but
note that they don't post any actual test results, and many of the
specs are left off other companies specs.  In 26 years I have found no
reason to go back to petroleum oil.  Synthetics (any)_ are so far
superior to any crude oil there's really no comparason.
You will find similar benefits with the use of any 100% Synthetic oil,
but if you're a freak about it like I am, and you read everyones spec
sheets, Amsoil wins.

Just my quick 2 cents worth.

Tim in Bovey

i would like to hear how owners evaluate synthetic blends vs.
conventional blends

Thanks!

Joe, Lisa, Teegan, and Min

===
Stupidity is like nuclear power, it can be used for good or evil.
But you still don't want to get any on you.
===