<VV> FC GAS TANK

Vic Howard vichoward at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 28 20:54:59 EDT 2005

Last year, I purchased a couple of "junk" rampsides thinking I possibly
could make one usable one out of the two of them. (I also purchased a good
1961 rampside  with a 110 hp engine and 4speed.) Well, one is definitely a
1961 and is definitely junk. There are some decent parts on it that I have
used on my  good rampside and then I turned to the other junk rampside that
happened to have been shortened in the bed and ramp area by about 15". This
intrigued me because it actually improved the looks of the rampside, in my
opinion, and I decided I would try to get it running. Although I don't have
a good title to it, I'm sure I can use it around my property and maybe
eventually on the road. After putting a running engine in it, I figured I
better take the gas tank out to see what kind of condition it is in. As a
side note, the rampside came with a
110 hp engine and automatic transmission. I assumed the truck was originally
an automatic but to my surprise I found the gas tank is the one with a hole
or tube through it. I had heard of these but never saw one. I'm not sure
what year or years that tank was used but it must be rare and possibly has
some demand for someone who owns an FC with this feature. Is it the shift
tube or clutch cable or both that are located through that "passage"? Does
someone out there have a need for one of these tanks? I have not removed the
sending unit to see what condition of the inside of the tank is but the
outside seems to have a minimal of surface rust. Perhaps the person who
customized this rampside also installed this tank. I am not even sure what
year this truck is, would that be indicated on the vin tag on the door?
Anyway, I plan to remove the tank from the other junk rampside to see what condition it is in and if it will serve my purpose, this one with the hole thru it is available for sale. I plan to attend the convention in Portland and could bring it with me if someone is interested.