<VV> rebodied corvairs (worst rebody)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 19:13:55 EDT 2005

This is not a Corvair story, but that has never stopped me before.

I saw a 63 Impala SS ragtop for sale at a very reasonable price.  It also
came with the 425 HP 409 CID engine which was stated to be original with the car
but presently out of the car.  It was claimed to be a "numbers matching" car.
I rushed over to check it out before someone else snapped it up but here's
what I found.  The VIN plate by the door had apparently been removed.  Of
course, I had no idea if it had been merely removed and replaced or moved from
another car.  The seller looked surprised when I asked about it and claimed that it
had been removed for the paint job.  In addition, the car was not an original
409 car even though there was a nice 409 engine sitting there.  A 409 car
came with a much larger radiator than the smaller engine cars and the diameter of
the fuel line from the gas tank was larger on the 409s for obvious reasons.
This car had neither of these identifying items as well as other missing 409
changes.  I decided to pass on the car and didn't bother to check the multitude
of other things that I always look for on a car.

Doc
In a message dated 6/29/2005 2:41:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,