<VV> rebodied corvairs/

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 18:57:07 EDT 2005

I have seen this happen and have even been approached to sign someone's name.
 However, you do so at your own risk.  Bob's story is a prime example.  If he
had submitted a false document and then happily restored the vehicle, he
would have had to worry forever that the authorities would come a knockin.

Here is the possible scenario .... he falsified the documents then spent many
thousands restoring it.  Mama finally gets fed up waiting for her con man son
to finish the restoration and demands to have the car back.  To cover his
ass, he tells her, "Oops, sorry Ma .... I went to get it and someone stole it."
Of course, Mama reports the theft and the authorities see the VIN registered
to Bob.  The police show up, confiscate the car and return it to Mama fully
restored.  The scumbag son gets credited with the restoration as far as Mama is
concerned and Bob is lucky if he doesn't get charged.  At a minimum, he loses
his investment in the car.  This can happen.

A friend of mine bought a 1968 Camaro coupe that was an original 396 with A/C
that had been changed over to a SBC running on natural gas.  There were other
mods as well.  He bought it from a guy who was selling it from his father's
estate.  He put in an additional $10,000 to restore it which did not include
his sweat equity.  Eventually, the CA State police showed up at his door to
recover the "stolen" car when the daughter of the deceased owner laid claim to the
car.  My friend was lucky that he had taken the car to work that day.  He got
a call from his wife telling him that the police were there looking for the
car.  He took it to his father's home and parked it in the garage.  The police
tried to browbeat him and threatened to arrest him.  He told them that if they
could prove that he had stolen the car or forged any documents, they could
arrest him.  He told them that if they arrested him without proof, he would sue
them.  He contacted the woman who technically owned the car and paid her what
the car was worth when he bought it from her brother.  Otherwise, he would
have stripped the car before returning it.  If the car had been at home when the
police came, it would have been gone with 100% loss to him.  As it turned out,
he only had to pay twice for the value of the unrestored car.

I lost out on a deal for a 60 Corvair in very nice restorable condition.  The
seller didn't have documentation and had used a false name when advertising
it.  When I learned this, I backed out of the deal because of the image in my
mind of the problem that my friend had gone through.  Certainly, a 60 Corvair
isn't worth what a restored 68 Camaro SS 396 goes for but I still didn't want
to foot the potential loss.  It tuns out that the seller was a very well known
and respected member of the Corvair community and I missed out on a great
deal.  I didn't know who he was at the time.  However, under identical
circumstances, I would still err on the side of caution.  I don't know if he is on VV but
I am sure that he will recognize this story if he reads this and I would like
to express my regret.

Doc
In a message dated 6/29/2005 9:45:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,