<VV> RE: 100% CORSA membership (long)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Mar 3 21:57:13 EST 2005

At 02:54 hours 03/03/2005, tkalp at cox.net wrote:
>I think CORSA is a great organization and I have had the privilage to meet
>some of the best people in the world thru CORSA events.

Yep...

>CORSA exists to promote the Corvair hobby.  Sometimes we forget that
>without CORSA there would still be a Corvair hobby, just look at the
>customers of Cal and Lon that aren't members.  If CORSA died would all the
>members stop their Corvair Affair?

Not me.   I was into Corvairs before I ever joined Corsa or a local chapter
(of which I was a founding member) since at the time there wasn't any local
chapter until some of us got together and started one.    Back then, we
were all Corsa members... which is how we all got together in the first
place (membership roster) and formed the local chapter (RVCC) back in the
early '80s which is still going today.   I'd spoken a time or two with some
of the locals about chapter membership etc... and they also mentioned that
it didn't matter if the chapter or Corsa itself was around or not, they
would still be doing Vairs.   Seems that just about all of them (myself
included) got into Vairs not because of a local chapter or the national
organization but because the car interested them/us/me.   Learning about
Corsa and local organizations etc came afterwards.

If the chapter were to fade and fold, I'd still be into Vairs.   If the
national organization were to fold, I'd still be into Vairs.   Other Vair
people in the area would do likewise.

I would wager that if Corsa for whatever reason *did* fold up (not likely)
and even if the funding for this list went away with Corsa, somebody
somewhere would keep it alive and there would still be Vair people
posting.   And local shows would still happen and be attended by Vair
owners both local and outta-town via word of mouth, newsletters, and this
list and others.

The hobby is people; the cars are just an excuse... and the people will
keep doing what they do.    (making excuses...?)  ;)

It's my opinion that pressuring people to join Corsa isn't a good
idea.   People should *Want* to join; punishing them for their differing
choices isn't likely to fertilize the furrows.   If they join, fine, if
not, fine... RVCC doesn't demand Corsa membership although it is strongly
encouraged.    And, I never fail to suggest such to anybody I see locally
with a Vair who's not already involved with either Corsa or the local
chapter.    Sometimes the people "sign up", sometimes not.   If they do
not, it's their loss, IMHO.

  tony..