<VV> question about 1965 4 speed differential

John McMahon jmac2112 at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 4 21:12:59 EST 2005

On page 129 of the Corvair Basics book, it says "In addition, the splines
internal to the pinion shaft tend to wear on a MT differential.  These
should be checked visually using a strong light and by looking inside the
pinion shaft.  The splines should be perfectly square, if they are "L"
shaped or mostly worn down, the pinion shaft should be replaced."

I've got a 1965 4 speed, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do
this check.  How does one go about looking inside the pinion shaft without
taking the differential apart?  I have pulled the input shaft out, and using
a flashlight I can barely see the teeth that it engages with all the way
over in the transmission, but I don't think this is what I'm looking for.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe 4 speed