<VV> Aluminum Tig Weldiing Advice

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 13:41:53 EST 2005

Thank You, Garth!  I just want to take a minute to publicly thank you for
posting these welding tips.  Most of us poke around a bit with welding and your
time and effort is much appreciated.  Where else would we find the straight
scoop if it weren't for guys like you taking the time to post?  Re Frank's
question about successful TIG welding Al tube.  Would it help to back-gas, given
that it's tubing and the backside of any gaps is exposed to air?
Also, what's the right set-up for using TIG on mild steel (gas, electrode,
polarity, HF)?  I see all these Hot-rod and Motorcycle construction shows on TV
where they seem to be nonchalantly welding steel with TIG but when I try it, I
can't seem to get it to work.  I have a 310 amp, squarewave ESAB with remote
pedal and water cooled torch.
Craig Nicol (TIG, MIG, O/A)