<VV> Re: Learning to Mig Weld Weld

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 12:38:17 EST 2005

Alan:

Mig is very easy to learn.  There are entry level Mig systems which can be used on sheet metal and then there are medium duty units that can be used by the hobbyist on thicker material (up to 3/8). It is safe to say that any member of this club can learn to do carbon steel Mig welding within an hour or two of practice on scrap material.  With this process filler metal is automatically fed into the arc zone, so the operator only has to learn to control the torch travel speed (across the surface) as well as how to maintain the torch to work distance (1/2 inch). Set up is not all that difficult and many entry level systems give recommendation on a sticker that is attached to the unit itself.  I can also make some recommendations on operating parameters based on what you are trying to accomplish.

There is some marketing hype here and most welding distributors will try to sell an argon based mixture (75% Argon / 25% CO2) but in actuality, welding thin carbon steel sheet metal can be effectively done using pure CO2 shielding gas providing the arc amperage does not exceed 150 amps. (this is rare when welding sheet metal) Above this current level, spatter control becomes and issue so argon based shielding gases begin to make sense.

You can expand the useful working envelope of a small Mig system by using an oxy acetylene torch to preheat thicker material prior to welding - say preheat of 800 degrees F.  You can buy a  Templi stick that melts at a predetermined temperature. Trying to weld thicker material (>1/16 ') with a small Mig, may result in lack of fusion as it may not have the output capacity required to provide sufficient melting of the base metal.

The bottom line:

You need to understand your ultimate needs are. Do you want to weld aluminum or stainless in addition to carbon steel?  Do you wish to fabricate something made of heavier material such as a trailer?  If you want to limit your activity exclusively to carbon steel and have access to an oxy fuel torch setup you can save some money on the welder itself.

Let me know your ultimate requirements and I will be happy to make a recommendation.

If you send me a request off the list, I will provide a copy of an electronic training manual on Mig welding produced by my employer.

This applies to all that might be interested.

Regards, Garth

LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE