<VV> Gene Winfield, Corvair content

Marc Sheridan sheridanma at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 7 17:53:20 EST 2005

Yesterday I went to an indoor car show in Huntington WV. I knew there would
be a lot of nice cars there, but had no idea I would meet a legend.

There was a table set up with a few items for sale and an older gentleman
standing behind it. I was wearing my Corvair Motorsports T-shirt and it
caught his eye He asked me about it and I told him about Rick's company.
Still unaware that I was in the presence of greatness, he told me that he
had built a couple of Corvair powered vehicles way back when and he showed
me a couple of pictures. It was then that I saw the sign hanging over his
head that said "Legendary Car Builder, Gene Winfield".

One of the Corvair powered cars he showed me a picture of was front wheel
drive and it looked like it was a three wheeler. The other was a road race
car that he said would pull the front wheels off the ground, powering out of
a corner. Anybody remember those cars? I'm embarrassed to say I don't and
Gene's name is just now starting register with my memories from those days,
but I won't forget him now and I will proudly display the autographed
picture he gave me.

If you want to know more about Gene, there is a nice article in the latest
Goodguys Goodtimes Gazette or you can check this link that does show the
Corvair powered road racer.

http://chadwick-whitlowenterprises.com/piranha/index.htm

Marc Sheridan