<VV> Front end

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 7 19:22:13 EST 2005

 Tom, this might be safer:

I made a simple spring compressor that I have used very often on the
front suspension when removing/replacing the springs. I figured the
front shock was in just the right place to be replaced by a long
threaded rod.

 I use a long 1/2" threaded rod with a washer and double nut at the top
and a stiff piece of angle iron drilled in the middle and held with
another double nut underneath at the bottom.

 I jack the car up high enough to get the rod through the bottom where
the shock mount is and push it through the top where the top of the
shock sticks out.

 If you make the rod long enough, There is enough rod to safely unscrew
the top double (for safety) nuts at the top after the lower ball joint
is unbolted, to slowly lower the lower A arm. This also traps the
spring, so it cannot fly out and ruin your day.

 It takes a little wiggling and practice, but it does work. I'm sure
someone can improve on this crude system, but it hasn't failed in a
dozen or more applications over the decades.

 I also subscribe to using a floor jack under the A arm to help the R
and R operation. If the floor jack should slip, the rod will prevent the
A arm from a violent extension.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS

> I'd like some input on the best approach. Is pulling
> the crossmember a good idea?

Very timely. This is exactly where I am with my 66 Corsa. Just got the
gas tank out Sunday (much cursing required).

I was going to leave the X Member in, but if I take it out, I figure I
should take the springs out first, using the car and floor jack to
compress them while I get the joints apart, or am I missing something
easy?

Thanks All.

Tom Wright