<VV> 65 Eng Rebuild

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 14:03:56 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/9/05 11:28:52 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
rizakoyt at yahoo.com writes:

> Cam   # 3839889 - 1960-69    80,84,&95hp
>
> What does having a cam specified for 80, 84, or 95 hp
> do in an engine of 110hp?

That cam was originally intended for the 1964-69,  95 hp engines. It was
never used for earlier engines. I believe that some 110 hp engines came with the
889 cam from the factory. Yours may have been one of them.

Since yours is a 110 hp engine, I suggest that you use the 304 cam, although
if you should choose to reuse your old cam, that should work OK too, but be
sure to check all lobes for wear. I'd suggest a max of 0.002" allowable.

The 889 cam was designed to provide good low speed performance, while the 891
and 304 cams (nearly identical) are designed more for high rpm performance.
Your choice.
Regards,
Bob Helt