<VV> Summer/winter cover question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed Mar 9 19:58:28 EST 2005

OK - here's a reason I just made up for this. I hope everybody appreciates
the creativity.
     If there were no brace, the air-exhaust system would be completely
sealed on the left side (recirc hole covered AND damper door shut) until the
engine warmed up. So most air exhaust would come from the right side through
the (unclosable) recirc hole on that side. The right side would get SOME
cooling while the left side would get virtually none. The brace on the
bottom of the cover plate spills just enough air out the left side to
balance this situation back out, more or less.
     All of this operates ONLY when the thermostats are (trying to) hold
both damper doors shut.
     Incidentally, even though (if the left door were NOT being held open)
the left side of the engine would warm up faster (too fast?), the thermostat
on that side might NOT respond as fast as it should, because there'd be
little air flow over it. Heat has to be transferred from the head/cylinders
to the thermostat by SOMETHING, and in the Corvair engine, that something is
moving air.
     Intricate design, but hardly elegant, in my otherwise Corvair-loving
eyes.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C