<VV> RE: How to make bucket seats firmer? Also upholstery question update

David Baker dbaker10 at twcny.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 21:10:27 EST 2005

Thanks to those who got back to me with suggestions for firming
up the springs on the bucket seats when reupholstering seats. The
spring wire across the original springs sounds good, it was a
thought I had of doing.

One suggestion was to put in new buns, I have new buns to put in.

I sent an email to Year One to ask if the Impala seats of the
period were the same as the Corvair seats as Year One has new
seat spring assemblies. I haven't heard back from them yet.

As for my original question about finding a replacement for the
EM rear seat back cushion cotton batting. The original batting is
covered with a netting that is hog ringed to the seat frame. A
replacement is apparently not available.

I emailed an upholstery shop, and they said to keep the original
batting and touch up any bad spots in the cotton with some new
cotton batting to get the original shape back. It looks like that
is what I'll be doing.

Dave Baker