<VV> cams/ performance

Robert Coffin dryenko at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 11:57:14 EST 2005

Hi Craig ,
you wrote:

Well, Kurt, Here's my take on this.  I have three 140 4-sp Corvairs, two
have the 304 cam and one has the 889 cam (with the PG140 retarded crank).
By far, the 889/retarded crank engine is the most fun.  It's easy to pull
away from a stop and responds very strongly in the mid range. I am planning
to modify one of my other cars to the same combo.  I can't say how the 889
cam would work "straight up", but I can say that it's an excellent cam with
the rpm range mod provided by the retarded crank.  Let us know if you dont
know how to tell a straight-up crank from a retarded crank. (numbers are the
same]

What I have done , on several engines , is to add more advance to the stock
cams , to get better bottom end response.Your 4 speed 140's might benefit
from this..
One of the best turned out to be a 110 based engine with lightly ported
heads and 140 exhaust tubes,combined with a new LM Turbo 2304 can and a 4
degree advance key.
Installed in a 1965 Monza with PG , and 3.27 gears, it was a great car to
drive , quick off  the line in city traffic and really cruised nicely on the
highway...
BTW , it had a 140 distributor and proflow carbs[51 jets] and got 22 -24 MPG
on highway trips. running 65 -70 mph.
YMMV
Bob C