<VV> Help anyone Info on Fiberglas top

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Mar 11 11:14:47 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:52:15 -0500, Rick Loving wrote:

>I have attached 2 pictures of the top (vv will strip them for everyone
>else).  As everyone else has responded, they are not real common
>anymore.  There probably were not that many made and sold to begin with
>and they are easily damaged if dropped while taking off or putting on.
>If you did not have adequate help or some kind of rope and pulley system
>in your garage to raise and lower it, it would be difficult to handle.

Everybody keeps talking about how heavy these are; as one of the few people to have actually used one of these, I need to correct this misconception.

They are not that heavy. In fact, they are surprisingly light considering their size. Like with ANY hardtop, you need two people to remove it. But even if one
of these people is a small wife or 12-yr-old kid, the Corvair hardtops are no problem whatsover... the size being more of an issue than the weight.

Only the tiny British sports cars tops are easier to handle. I thought that my Allante top (and previous Mercedes SL tops I've dealt with) were much more
difficult to handle despite being slightly smaller.

I don't think having these remade in a lighter material would significantly change the difficultly in handling them.

Bill Elliott