<VV> convention site choices

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Mar 11 22:42:06 EST 2005

Bill
: <VV> convention site choices

> I, for one, am looking forward to the 2006 convention in Buffalo and the
> 2007
> convention in Detroit.

You ain't alone, brother!!

  I'll probably drive to Buffalo.  I did an internship
> there years ago and it's a surprisingly beautiful city with a lot of
> history
> and great architecture.

IFO am pleased when the locals hype their area for the Convention. To Keep
Ron Happy, I'll say that Buffalo is the best kept Secret "on the East
Coast", though it is about 400 miles west of the ocean.

Most important to people who presently reside in arid places like Nevada,
Arizona, Colorado, etc---it has an UNLIMITED supply of excellent fresh
water---Lake Erie.  So clean you can see to the bottom, even in 50 feet of
water, which is almost as deep as the lake gets.

  Just this morning I heard an interview on public radio
> of an author who wrote a book about great cities of North America and he
> included Buffalo.  He cited as his reasons, among other things, the
> Albright Knox
> art gallery and Frank Lloyd Wright homes

Also some crypts in Forest Lawn Cemetery.

 as well as proximity to Niagara
> Falls.

Something you really have to see first hand to appreciate, and when you do,
it will take your breath away, if its' the first time, or the 100th.

 As for the latter, viewing it from the Canadian side will probably give
> this U.S. citizen his only chance to take his Corvair "abroad."

IMO the views from the Canadian side aren't better, but they are great, and
different. The US side offers more of a variety of vantage points.  But DO
NOT miss the trip on the Maid of the Mist.

> As for Detroit, I'll probably fly or drive a water-pumper but I'm looking
> forward to that convention, too.  With Detroit the undisputed capital of
> the
> American auto industry, the site is perfect for some tours of interest to
> us car
> aficionados and, I'll bet, there will be an unforgettable historic
> presentation
> at the convention, too.

Deerfield Village, the Henry Ford Museum, our own Corvair Museum at Willow
Run,
I've been wanting to get there for years, and am pleased that CORSA finally
approved a bid from Detroit.

When, oh WHEN is New Orleans gonna get a chance!!!

> So all you West Coasters, kwitcher bitchin' and be thankful for your
> annual
> fanbelt toss!

Another event I have always wanted to attend, but I have this thing about
CA.  Perhaps I can visit my cousin who lives in LA (and a car nut) and we
can go together. I HAVE to see what all the fuss is about!!

You can take the man out of Buffalo, but you can't take Buffalo out of the
man---a proven fact

Regards
Hank
Buffalo resident for 19 years (the formative ones!)