<VV> hardtop for convertibles

kenfran at comcast.net kenfran at comcast.net
Sat Mar 12 00:54:35 EST 2005

I know my brother kept his hardtop for his Mazda Miata suspended from a
hoist in the garage over the Miata parking space, just dropped it on when he
wanted to use it.

Ken Franson
Arkansas CC

> From: "Bill Elliott" <Corvair at fnader.com>
> Subject: RE: <VV> Help anyone Info on Fiberglas top
> >If you did not have adequate help or some kind of rope and pulley system
in your garage to raise and lower it, it would be difficult to handle.

> Everybody keeps talking about how heavy these are; as one of the few
people to have actually used one of these, I need to correct this
misconception.
> They are not that heavy. In fact, they are surprisingly light considering
their size. Like with ANY hardtop, you need two people to remove it. But
even if one of these people is a small wife or 12-yr-old kid, the Corvair
hardtops are no problem whatsover... the size being more of an issue than
the weight.
> Only the tiny British sports cars tops are easier to handle. I thought
that my Allante top (and previous Mercedes SL tops I've dealt with) were
much more difficult to handle despite being slightly smaller.
> I don't think having these remade in a lighter material would
significantly change the difficultly in handling them.