RE <VV> Automakers Vs Truth (little corvair and then only be inference)

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 01:02:39 EST 2005

Varians:
The thread on actual horsepower numbers Vs advertised
horsepower is illustratives of how automakers have
traditionally operated.

On one side are the techies who really want to know
what their creations are capable of. On the other
side, the more powerful side of the house as it were,
are the advertising and sales folks. To them the
numbers generated at the tech centers are merely
suggestions. To an advertising guy going from 179
actual horsepower to a much more print-friendly 200 HP
is not a real stretch.

There are other ways that a given vehicle can
magically get bigger, better, more powerful. Take a
Dodge truck I used to own. The title said it weighed
over 3,000 pounds. When I went to title it here in
Florida the lady at the Vehicle Registration told me
to take it to the weigh scales. I protested that the
weight of the truck was on the TITLE, for Pete's sake.
"Take it to the scales," she said, pointing to a
weighstation just across the lot, "and make sure you
don't have anything in it." Did as I was told, paid
the man $1 for a weighslip that said 2,643. The title
lady pointed out that my $1 saved me $48/year in
license fees since Florida prices its tags by the
pound. So, my as-advertised 3/4 ton truck magically
became a half tonner once the Mojo magic was done.

Now, on a subject entirely different.

Does anyone know anything about the 1999 Pontiac Grand
Am SE model? I'm looking at one that's pretty clean
for about $3,000, and I want it to be a reliable
take-a-trip-to-Maine type of car. My research on the
internet has turned up A) it's a terrible car with
unsolvable electrical, brake and engine problems that
is a money pit and B) That it's a wonderful car, runs
forever, never sees the inside of a shop. Has anyone
had any experience?

I know if the real skinny is to be found, it'll be
found here.

Thanks in advance
Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert