<VV> Re: CAW 'welding'

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 13 20:08:14 EST 2005

Tom:

To answer your questions.

1) The small mig is a Constant Voltage power supply and does not have the output or volt/amp curve to do carbon arc. You will need a CC unit with an air compressor.  250 amp DC output would be the minimum and larger is better.

2) Your mini mig is better than stick electrode for aluminum.  Buy a U groove .035 drive roll, a Teflon liner for the gun and run .035 - grade 5356 aluminum wire with argon shielding gas.  Preheat the aluminum to 800 F prior to welding and set arc current as close to the maximum that your unit will put out - say 130 amps. 18-20 volts.

Good luck.