<VV> Rebuild II

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 14:14:08 EST 2005

	I'm posting this again because I didn't see where it was posted on the
vv.  If I missed it, my apologies id I erred.

	This weekend we placed the new (used) crank and the new (new) main
bearings into the block halves.  We decided to remove the cylinders and
have them re-honed as there was scoring in the direction of the piston
movement in all of them.  I took the main block and heads back to my
house.  Last night and today, I cleaned the oil pan and gasket, cleaned
and reattached the bell housing, and reattached the oil pan.  There was
a tiny I/4 inch crack in the gasket of the bell housing at the top of
one of the five upper bolt holes.  As it only has about one hour of use
on it, it is still in very good condition.  I used a high temp rated
gasket sealer on the crack and reattached the housing.  I took the cork
gasket off of the oil pan, cleaned it, reattached it with gasket sealer
and put it back on the block.

	I ordered a Clark's ultimate oil pan and gasket from the Corvair Doc
and some trim pieces that I've been wanting for the interior.  I got an
extra oil sump as the Clark's manual says that the new pan requires the
hi-performance oil pickup but I may just cut and weld part of the pipe
of the extra sump to the existing one to make it reach further back in
the pan and closer to the bottom.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (now closer to 0 as the engine
is in pieces all over the garage floor)
Sierra Tan (originally, currently Copper) - Saddle, PG, A/C, original
AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper guards, w/ 77K
(do we see a faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel?)
(Crawling slowly back out of group red  : | )

P.S.  What's a good method for cleaning out the push rod tubes.  I used
a light  to check them out and they look pretty clean, but I thought I
might as well get them squeeky clean now that I have them out.