<VV> FC Carpet

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 18:10:28 EST 2005

It is actually a door mat that I cut to fit.  It still had the original
rubber mat from the factory in there for a pattern (several cracks in it)
and I have been looking to replace with an NOS one, but after 3 yrs of
looking for one I gave up on that idea.  Someone (either VV or Corvanatics)
mentioned the floor mat idea a few weeks back.  It is rubber backed and
carpeted on top.

No need for a binding.  Cut it with scissors and/or razor blade.  I ran the
outer edges under the door sills.  Made it a little hard to get the screw
holes to line back up since the original rubber mat did not go under the
sills.  But, with a little creativity, I got it to work JF.  Just used some
double sided carpet tape up along the top edge.  The hardest part of the job
(most time consuming) was getting that black sticky stuff from the factory
off the floor.  It was still pliable after all these years.  A bit like
trying to remove a layer of used chewing gum.  I did not have any chemicals
to use and the stores were closed.  I think "release agent" might have made
things go a lot faster.

I think I paid about $20.  for the thing.  I had talked to an upholstery
shop last fall and they wanted over $200 to invent a real (thrown in) carpet
which would have been bound on the edges.  There were 4 or 5 colors of the
mats available.  I went with grey as it matched my dash pretty well.

Later, JR