<VV> Oldest Caveman Car

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Fri Mar 18 17:19:23 EST 2005

Hello Group! Yes, I did at one time "own" the oldest
surviving Corvair. The VIN was closer to 1002xx as I
recall. The car was so bad that it was left behind when I
moved to Michigan from Chicago back in the mid-'80's.
Larry C. then gave the car to expert local bodyman Frank
Regal who did the only thing possible: he scrapped it!
John C.M. Gray, the Honourable Mayor of the City of
Oshawa, Ontario (and a fellow Corvair nut) once told me of
a very early Canadian-built '60 sedan sitting in a
junkyard in Ontario. We looked for it several years ago
but it was gone. I think John said it was VIN # 00007! I
currently have the earliest Oshawa-built Corvair in my
Cave Collection. It is VIN # 003xx (can't remember for
sure). Dr. Jerry Flynn's beautiful Willow Run produced
#407 is the best example of a surviving "horn hole"
Corvair that I know of. Dr. Flynn has offered the car to
me on several occasions for a mere $50k, but I have
respectfully declined his offer.- Caveman Pete Koehler in
Somewhere Pennsylvania