Dummy early lovers, was: <VV> dummy Late lovers

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sun Mar 20 18:25:04 EST 2005

Simpler is not always better, if they improve it. I won't argue about
the merits, or rather lack thereof, of GM's rust protection efforts.
It's a subject that wasn't taken seriously by auto companies until the
'80's, as ALL cars earlier than that rusted out badly, even early
Corvairs. It's that the early and late Corvairs rust out differently. I
once pulled the entire front end off a Monza wagon while trying to move
it, simply from rust. I've even seen a Greenbrier collapse in on itself,
the frame broken in five places. No car is immune.

The early Corvair was built with an unknown structural requirement in
mind, being it was GM's first venture into unitized bodies. As it turned
out, it was overbuilt. It will still rust out, sometimes worse than a
late (like in the floorboard and fender areas) but since it was
overbuilt, it still holds more of its overall structural rigidity. The
late model was merely the first progression towards more sane structural
needs, and the idea of capitalizing on the unit body's promise of
structural integrity WITH the light weight of a frameless chassis. As I
said, rust protection wasn't taken seriously. The wheellip problem that
you fault the late models with are nothing compared to the ENTIRE
(linerless) fender rot problems of early Corvairs.

As far as the "like every other GM car" element goes, you obviously
haven't driven enough late model Corvairs AND its peer group cars to
know better. Yes, it doesn't drive like an early Corvair's tail-happy,
bouncing rowboat ride. It's more sophisticated and civilized, but still
far removed from (and better than) "other GM cars." It simply drives
better (IMHO) than either the early Corvair OR other conventional cars.

I consider late models better on the issues of styling, ease of repair,
and overall pleasant ride and handling. The early wins only the point of
an overbuilt body structure.

Finally, it's debatable as to the merits of a gas heater. Especially in
this time of skyrocketing gas prices, why would a gas-guzzling feature
be desirable, when you already have built-in engine heat for free? And
why pay for the privilige of throwing it away?

-Mark