<VV> Voice over IP phone service. (NO CORVAIR)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 21:51:32 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/20/2005 8:40:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 3/20/05 8:25:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
airvair at richnet.net writes:

> I hear that there are several  compromises with an internet phone
> service.

Does your  computer need to be on 24/7 for the phone service to work
continually?
Regards,
Bob Helt

No - Voice over IP requires your internet router or DSL Modem or  whichever
you have installed to be functioning. Basically, you need a  functioning IP
address. On most systems, IP adresses are assigned by a DHCP  (Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol) server. It is contained inside most  home routers, (mine is
a Linksys router). It is connected to my DSL box all  the time. The Linksys
provides an address to the box that is providing your  phone with a connection.
Most Home VOIP systems use a box that has a local  (as within your house) IP
address, and just lets a regular analog telephone just  plug into it. I guess
it is possible for a DHCP server to be housed within a  desktop machine, but
it would be rare. You should not have to leave your  computer on all the time.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette