<VV> Differential oil leak

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 12:36:43 EST 2005

Just helped a friend pull the drive train from a 65 Monza 110 4 Speed.  He had an oil leak, and had been told that it probably was the front seal.  On pulling the drivetrain we discovered that the top cover on the differential was covered in oil.  What causes this to happen and what should I do to fix it.  I suspicion that the vent is somehow stopped up, or the differential, transmission was overfilled at one time.  I have a new gasket for the cover.  Any ideas?

Also, now that we have the drive train out, is there some way short of pulling the transmission differential apart from the engine to determine if the front seal may also be leaking. (Had ordered that also to have on hand).  Thanks fot any helpful suggestions.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.