<VV> Differential oil leak / front seal?

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 16:36:04 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/21/2005 11:25:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
emills5 at cfl.rr.com writes:

> Just helped a friend pull the drive train from a 65 Monza 110 4 Speed.  He
> had an oil leak, and had been told that it probably was the front seal.  On
> pulling the drivetrain we discovered that the top cover on the differential
> was covered in oil.  What causes this to happen and what should I do to fix it.
>  I suspicion that the vent is somehow stopped up, or the differential,
> transmission was overfilled at one time.  I have a new gasket for the cover.  Any
> ideas?
>
> Also, now that we have the drive train out, is there some way short of
> pulling the transmission differential apart from the engine to determine if the
> front seal may also be leaking. (Had ordered that also to have on hand).
> Thanks fot any helpful suggestions.
>
> Cecil Mills
> Cocoa, Fl.

If the Front seal [ rear main to most] is leaking   oil will drip from the
HOLE  on the bottom of the bellhousing!

The previous "overfill of the tranny"  includes the diff.!

No flame!!!   just the other day someone said;   ALWAYS  wash the engine
BEFORE trying to find oil leaks...  GGGGGGGGGGGGG

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V

WHO READS ALL EMAILS!  Titles mean nothing in V Vland...!!!