<VV> Re: John Delorean

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Mar 23 14:14:11 EST 2005

At 06:05 hours 03/22/2005, Ron wrote:
>Don't forget that Delorean also bilked the British government of many
>millions of dollars and dealt in drugs for yet more money.  So far as I
>know, none of the money was ever recovered as he had a complex money
>laundering system.
>RonH

Uh...  JZD didn't "bilk" anybody out of anything.  The money that the UK
offered up to convince him to locate in Ireland was a political move on the
part of the UK government who not only wanted Irish workers employed, but
they wanted a "stabilizing" force there, so as to show that "foreign"
investments in Ireland could be a good thing.    The whole deal was
presented to DeLorean as an incentive.   The UK was really quick to jump
here.

A guy named Roy Mason,  (I had to look up his name) who was the Northern
Ireland Secretary, told the cabinet of members of both the Houses of
Parliament that the project was "of the utmost political, social and
psychological importance" and that it would be "a hammer blow to the
IRA".   This was in the late '70s, while DeLorean was looking at Puerto
Rico as a site upon which to build.   The UK then went after DeLorean with
cash in hand...

After the deal was done (rather under wraps), some UK economics sorts
screamed bloody outrage that the UK would have done such a "think" as to
simply GIVE DeLorean almost 100 million bucks (in adjusted currency) from
the UK treasury which was *already* relatively strapped for working
capital, to finance the construction of DMC.   Some of them gave the
venture a 50-50 chance at best, for any sort of profitable result, while
others gave it a "one in ten" chance for success, putting forth the labor
issues that could be expected, union troubles, costs of materials
procurement and distribution of final product etc, all potential
troublemakers but simply swept aside by the UK politicians who had cooked
up the deal as "not insurmountable"...  and that the UK government should
be called on the carpet for "charging the gate" in such a "scatterbrained"
attempt to locate US owned business in Ireland to "keep Irish men working
in a car factory instead of joining the IRA".

Again, DeLorean had intended to build DMC in Puerto Rico, not Ireland but
UK politicos sent representatives from several British banks to convince
him to build in Ireland.   A hundred million dollars is a considerable
incentive, which the UK reps *convinced* DeLorean to take.

And, he took it.  It solved some considerable money issues that DeLorean
was facing and the Carter administration's tenure had left the US
economy  in a state of downturn across the board, with interest rates
skyrocketing and funding hard to come by in the USA and the Brits knew it,
and knew that they could tempt DeLorean to take the money and their
assurances, and build in Ireland.

The gameplan  was that the US economy would improve in the early '80s what
with a new president obviously entering into office after Carter etc and
that the economic downturn would reverse and people would begin buying cars
again.  That was the logic behind the politics of economics regarding the
money given to DeLorean...  which was expected to bring returns in the form
of profits which would of course be shared with the UK as DMC became
solvent and profitable.  Unfortunately, DeLorean was quick to get things up
and running, maybe too quick, and too early to enjoy any economic upturns
which would be happening a year or so later.

Again, it was the UK who sought out DeLorean and GAVE him the money, NOT
the other way around.

NOBODY bilked anybody out of anything.

After DMC went under (for a variety of reasons which were NOT JDZ's fault)
and the UK took over the facility and further mishandled things, THEN the
politicians began ranting about how it was "...ALL DeLoreans fault!" which
was of course BS.   Add to this the mis-handling of the cars once they got
here, with greedy dealer outlets seeing the cars as a quick cash cow,
treating them as "exotic imports" with radically adjusted MSRP stickers
showing inflated prices which placed the car out of range of its intended
market group.    Add to this the labor  issues running rampant in Ireland
at the time... and the ongoing money crunch in the US with many dealerships
who had agreed to serve as outlets for the DMC-12 suddenly forgetting those
deals and not ordering more cars because the "adjusted" sticker overprice
was keeping them on the dealership showroom floor, going
nowhere.    DMC-12s began piling up in the storage lots outside the
DeLorean factory, at one time over a thousand were lined up in rows and
columns, filling the entire lot, waiting to be shipped to the USA to
dealerships who simply stopped ordering additional cars.    I saw photos
taken from the air of the lots, filled with DMC-12s like a stainless steel
lake gleaming in the sun, gathering dust, waiting for dealers to place an
order...

And make no mistake, US car makers had no sympathy for JZD or his DMC.

And, when the DMC workers could no longer be paid because the money ran
out, many of the cars got wholesaled off to whoever would take them and
many of the factory workers were simply told to go home by the receivers of
DMC who weren't car company people right from the start and knew nothing
about how to run a car company... thus it being no surprise when DMC
declined further under UK "rule" of this sort...  angry workers in some
instances looted  the factory upon leaving (which was also part of the  QC
issues that DMC suffered, with many of the workers being somewhat less than
job-quality conscious) and the rest of the facilities were liquidated for
pennies on the dollar, so to speak.   And the tooling to produce the major
components of the cars was dumped in the ocean to make sure no more cars
would ever be built.   Stupid move, more a demonstration of ire and spite
than any sort of "copyright" issue.

And it was the fault of the UK, and NOT DeLorean.   If they had left it
alone, DeLorean would have built in P.R. and the Brits wouldn't have been
out their cash, DeLorean wouldn't have been strapped with labor issues and
an angry Parliament out for his ass.

Many automotive authorities still say that if DeLorean could have held on
for another year, he still could have made a go of it in Ireland.  An
improving economy in the US was around the corner, and with *corrected*
MSRP stickers and a better marketing strategy in place, and some cash
reserve to hold on another year, the DMC-12 could have been a success.

A last note:   Again:

JDZ was never charged with any drug possession or distribution or
use.   Never.   He was charged with racketeering and money laundering
conspiracy... that's *conspiracy* to commit.    He never actually scrubbed
anyone's money, not even his own, in an effort to save his company.    And
the feds who set him up were pretending to be underworld sorts with shady
backgrounds, carrying guns and talking tall.   DeLorean was said to have
confided to close friends that  "those people scared the Hell out of me so
I played their game" and went along with their "incentives".

By the way... it was the undercover agents who approached DeLorean; he
didn't seek them out first... not unlike the UK offer of a big (and unwise)
cash incentive to build in Ireland.

It was also this setup scheme and the additional pressure on JZD by the
undercover feds to "play ball" with them which resulted in the "set-up
defense" and the acquittal/not-guilty verdict.

It got better.   After he was acquitted from lack of evidence of any real
guilt in what the FBI insisted was an "open and shut case", he was again
hounded by the FBI with allegations of fraud and tax evasion regarding his
failed company, although what authority the FBI had in a UK issue was
questionable at best.   It was as if the FBI was out to get him, one way or
another.   The UK didn't stop either.   Several years later, JZD was in
court again over the cash incentive he'd been "given" by the UK and a judge
ordered him to pay back over 50 million bucks of it, money he didn't
have... so the government took what he did have, assets, property,
accounts, the works... even his home.

DeLorean was pissed following the trial's settlement which left him broke,
and in arrears with many creditors... in short, it pretty much wrecked his
life and resulted in bankruptcy, another broken marriage, loss of assets,
and no job.   The additional harassment by the FBI was just icing on the
cake.   It also killed any hopes of his plans to start another car company
and get back into building unique sports cars again.

What a sad legacy for an automotive visionary and pioneer and
entrepreneur...  who is only remembered by some as a "drug dealer" and a
"crook" when he was neither.   The line from Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"
comes to mind...

"I come to bury Caesar,  not to praise him.  The evil that men do lives
after them; the good is oft interred with their bones."

So, I guess that it will be so with JZD.

tony..