<VV> Re: John Delorean dies

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Mar 22 03:06:26 EST 2005

At 12:52 hours 03/21/2005, ronchoy at comcast.net wrote:
>When Delorean's car was under development there was talk of using Corvair
>engines.

Are you sure about that?   I'm involved with CORSA, the national Corvair
organization (there actually is one) and an officer of a regional chapter
and a bit of a Corvair historian and this is the first I ever heard of this.

JDZ was *not* a fan of Corvairs, what with their cutting into early Pontiac
Tempest sales even though the early "tuckunder" Tempests were roughly based
on the GM Z-body/Corvair platform.   Besides, GM was disgusted with the
Corvair by the time the '69 model year came around and was only too glad to
rid itself once and for all of the Corvair seeing as how it was a loss
leader which was expensive to build and GM made less money on each Corvair
sale than any other car they produced... and of course the bastard
stepchild of the Corvair (The Camaro, which was a development of the 2nd
Gen Corvair) was marketed to the same consumer group as the Corvair, and
each Corvair sold was cutting onto Camaro sales which made more money for
GM/Bowtie than Corvair sales.   So, in May of '69 the Corvair was dropped
and the line converted to Nova production and GM immediately dumped its
Corvair foundry/engine works at Tonawanda NY and stopped ordering molten
aluminum in vats for injection molding crankcases and heads... which for an
air cooled engine is a rather complicated and expensive process compared to
pouring cast iron into sandcast molds.    GM actually had to transport
molten aluminum in large vats via trucks to the foundry for injection
molding the engines, since it cost so much to heat the aluminum to melting
point... so when  the refinery finished blending the molten metal, it was
poured into insulated vats and delivered in liquid form to Tonawanda and
then to the molding department where it became Corvair cylinder heads and
crankcases.   The process continued for ten years...  costs were not cheap
and would have been much worse if the aluminum had been delivered cold and
then reheated in large electric furnaces again for injection molding.

In short, Chevrolet division was psyched about ridding themselves of the
expensive Corvair line once and for all and that included the Corvair
engine works at the Tonawanda engine plant.    No Corvair engines after '69
although up until then GM did supply the engines to industrial customers,
the military, and even commercial corporations for powering compressors
etc.   But by the 1980s the Corvair engine department at Tonawanda was a
distant memory.

Add to this the fact that DeLorean didn't much care for the Corvair as
mentioned before, and also the fact that there was absolutely no love lost
between DeLorean and *Anybody* at GM, following JZD's disgruntled
disposition after having been dumped by the GM board rather than promoted
to General Manager as everybody had expected.      It's a wildcard shot
that DeLorean would ever have used any sort of GM engine for his DMC-12,
including any Corvair engine...  although it was actually a very good
powerplant, the Corvair engine was a tad bit small for a car in the weight
class of a DMC-12.   The engine in the DeLorean was a watercooled joint
development V6 designed by Peugeot-Volvo and manufactured by Renault.    It
wasn't a bad engine... until it got loaded down by EPA mandated smog gear
which dragged it down to 130 net hp.

>I don't remember when it was. Maybe they meant opposed flat sixes in
>general.

They wanted to keep the car low, and a boxer-6 would have been ideal, hence
the possible confusion over the Corvair boxer-6 engine.   Among the
available boxers at the time, the pickings were pretty slim...  the Corvair
engine molds were long since gone and Porsche was just about the only other
choice... and Porsche wanted too long to gear up for production of the
engine... so an existing V6 was picked instead.   Porsche had also been
considered as a possible platform source, but the lead time as dictated by
Stuttgart was 4 years and DeLorean wouldn't wait 4 years.  He then went
after Lotus which "needed a job" and they did the DMC-12 body.   The
original location for DMC corporation had been Puerto Rico but after Lotus
was selected to do the DMC-12 coachwork, the UK stepped in with some big
incentives to get DMC located in Ireland...  which was a mistake.   Later
on, DeLorean would regret the move to Ireland with its union troubles and
finance woes and interference from the Brit government which was populated
with people who hated DeLorean and DMC and despised those other elements in
the UK who had promised DeLorean all sorts of things to get his DMC plant
built in Ireland.   Later on, when the UK economists began ranting about
what a blunder it was to put DeLorean in Ireland, trouble began brewing and
labor disputes happened, economic issues snowballed, additional problems
with imports to the USA followed, leaving thousands of DMC-12s sitting in
the lot outside the factory going nowhere...  and eventually the Brit
government got into the act... and when things went bad, the receivers
representing the UK banks actually had factory workers load up the DMC body
panel tooling onto barges and, "in a fit of spite", dumped it all into the
ocean to insure that no more cars would be built.

A few years ago, there was a documentary about the DMC-12 produced and
aired on cable TV via one of the documentary channels... excellent stuff
which outlined many little things about DeLorean and the company that most
people don't know.

>   I do remember reading a review from either Motor Trend or Car and
> Driver where the reviewer commented that the car, in its final form drove
> like a Corvair, and made similar sounds.  -ron 65,66

...not bad praise, since the 2nd generation Corvair had outstanding
handling and a unique engine exhaust note which was close to the same sound
that many V6 engines made when coupled to a very short exhaust system such
as that supplied with the mid-engine DMC-12.

tony..