<VV> DAUGHTER'S 1ST CAR - FOLLOWUP

Harry Jensen hljensen at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 12:53:27 EST 2005

Hi--

Harry's rules for teenage drivers:

1. Keep the Corvair some place they cannot drive it! Make sure any other
car you care about isn't able to be driven by very young drivers, ie, my
Fiero was stick shift as is my Miata.

2. Pay for their insurance based upon their averages in school. A average
get's their insurance paid for by dad. B average gets 50% of their
insurance cost paid by dad. C average gets no help from dad. D or below, no
driving of dad's cars.

One of my kids was an underachiever. He did not drive until close to his
18th birthday when he finally brought up his grades to my thresholds. He
was in two accidents with his friends driving, because he did not have
driving privileges with our family. He was not hurt in the accidents, but
had the 'stuffing' scared out of him. Perfect.

My daughter is the overachiever. She had all 'A's. She slid into a curb on
snow, but that was the worst of it. Made her pay for the alignment. She
learned too.

The above might not be perfect, but it worked for me. BTW, I subsequently
taught both how to drive stick shift.

--H