<VV> Misc. Questions

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Mar 23 15:02:39 EST 2005

At 11:39 hours 03/22/2005, sam pam and fam wrote:
>I hate to bother everyone but I cannot seem to bring up the archives right
>now for some reason. When upgradeing the rear suspension on a 63 to a 64
>do you need the 64 transaxle or not ?

No, it's not absolutely necessary.   There are ways around the mount boss
the leaf attaches to, under the differential.

>  If you do not need the 64 trans, where do you mount the center bracket
> on the transverse leaf spring ?

One of the Gurus did this and simply left the leaf against the bottom of
the differential, with a strap securing it in place with a couple of screws
in holes drilled/tapped in the diff.   Not sure if he drilled all the way
through or just enough to hold a couple of short capscrews.

Me, I'd rather cobble up a bracket to secure and support the leaf, ala the
EMPI camber compensator leaf bracket which was held in place by two overly
long bottom belhousing bolts with nuts on the transaxle side to hold the
bracket in place, supported the leaf nicely.

I'm supposed to have gotten some photos of the bracket sent off to someone
but still haven't crawled under the car yet...

>Also, does anybody have an extra set of 64 rear lower a-arms with
>leafspring hardware.

The hardware is all you need.  It can be attached to the '63 and earlier
arms by drilling a few holes.    You don't have to swap out the A-arms.

>I have the spring but nothing else. Also, can you put a LM transaxle in an
>early ?

Yes, but you need to remove the yoke retainer hardware so the yoke can move
ala pre-'65 differentials.   You also need to either plug the hole in the
yokes or use early yokes or there's gonna be a leak.    You also lose your
speedometer when you do this since there's no cable fitting boss on the
late differential unless you have a '65 FC transaxle which indeed uses a
late car differential with all the strut rod mounting bosses (unused of
course) and also has a speedo cable boss.

In short, the '65 FC, which is no different rear-suspension-wise than the
earlier FCs which used early car transaxles, itself uses a late car
transaxle with the early style "non-drilled" axle yokes.

tony..