Fwd: <VV> Vair Block Casting--was DeLorean

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 12:15:43 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/23/2005 10:35:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kaczmarek at charter.net writes:

> Folks
> For those who saved Tony U's reply to the Mopar list re: Corvair Block and
> aluminum part casting, I wanted to give a short update.

Hank's description matches one I was given by the son of one of the plant
workers when I went to a wedding up there 20 years ago.  The foundry was located
in that area because of the abundance of relatively cheap power available from
the hydro power plants that took their power from the Niagara river (no
longer at the falls but downstream).  The same person said that he thought the
reason the Vega had an aluminum block was GM had contractual obligations to the
foundry that made it easier/cheaper to continue the use of aluminum rather than
buying the contract out.

And I would love to be able to set up a Corvair differential from memory.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier