Fwd: <VV> Misc. Questions

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 12:01:41 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/23/2005 11:12:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
UltraMonzaWest at aol.com writes:

> And YES,  a LM  transaxle will fit....65's are identical..66 and later are
> slightly different.

PatioMatt,  You are right in theory--you can make anything fit.  But the
differential part of the transaxle will not work without major work.  The '65 and
later differential took side loads off the drive shaft as part of the
suspension design--the '60 through '64 allowed the drive axle to slide as the swing
axle moved and weren't stressed by side loads the same way.  I once sold a guy a
'65 transaxle from a totalled Monza that, despite my reservations, he said he
could install in his '63 Monza.  "I can make anything fit........"  About six
weeks later I gave him his money back when he brought the transaxle back.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa