<VV> Corvair book ad

Ruth Dorogi dfamily at cecomet.net
Wed Mar 23 19:32:40 EST 2005

If  you have the first edition of Bob Helt's book read the  sentence on page
162 about piston ring gap.  "It is recommended that the top compression ring
be set to near the maximum clearance with the second compression ring set
near the minimum clearance due to expansion consideration".   Compare it
with page 120. " A recent theory for minimizing oil consumption in high
speed engines is to set the top ring gap to the minimum spec and the gap on
the second ring to the maximum spec.  This will minimize the pressure
differential between the two rings and promote better ring action".
        Page 120 is correct and I called Bob about three years ago and the
problem was corrected in later editions. I was rebuilding the engine for my
63 rampside at the time and had a 50/50 chance of getting it right.  I got
it wrong. I didn't discover the conflict  until the engine was installed.
However, the engine runs great and does use a little oil but with chrome
rings and just 2300 miles is probably not broken in yet.  His book and
expertise shown on this list is great and appreciated.
I just think that others might be interested in this error if they have the
first edition of the book.  I only brought it up because question were asked
about  errors in the first edition.  I hope I didn't offend anyone.   Dennis
Dorogi