<VV> Flamethrower, HEI Diagnosis

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 23 22:39:09 EST 2005

Ah.  I wondered why the numbers didn't add up.

With the key on you'll get one of two situations, depending on whether the
points are open or closed.
If the engine stops with them open, you'll get 12V at both terminals.
If it stops with them closed, you'll get 12V at one and ground at the other.
UNLESS, of course, the wire between the coil and the points is broken or not
making contact at one end or the other.

Place the distributor end of the coil output wire so that it's close to
ground (less than 1/4") (or connect it to a spark plug and ground the plug
housing).  Do NOT hold the wire with your hand unless you like jumping
really high and cussing.  Turn the engine until thepoints are open and short
across the points with a screwdriver, etc. (yes, I am crude)  You should get
a spark out of the coil.  If not, touch the "-" terminal of the coil with a
wire connected to ground.  Touch and remove several times, simulating the
points.  You should get a spark.  If you can't get a spark connecting to the
"-" terminal, the coil's dead.  If you get one there, but not from shorting
the points, the wire to the "-" terminal is bad.  If you get a spark both
ways, but not by turning the engine then the points are somehow messed up.

Hope that helps,
   Roger Gault

Oops, I now see the word "reluctor" in your message, so I gather you don't
have points.  If so, just do the "-" wire shorting test and go from there.