<VV> Pertronics vs Points.

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Thu Mar 24 00:33:16 EST 2005

At 09:49 PM 3/23/2005 -0500, Ewell Mills wrote:
>After swapping a couple of e-mails with Joe Potts about this, I noticed
>something that may or may not be material.  I have two corvairs, one is a
>65 110 that has a Pertronics Ignitor1 and Flamethrower 1 coil, that has 12
>volts wired to it (if I remember correctly) and a 67 110 that has points
>and some type of aftermarket coil (don't know the brand, but is a
>rectangular type thing).  After swapping E-Mails with Joe I have noticed
>the following.  The 65 that has the Pertronics set up has a tendency to
>spin over several seconds before firing off, but the one with the points
>set-up cranks almost immediately. (providing carbs are primed with
>fuel).  Is this normal for a pertronics set-up to be slow in firing off,
>or have I screwed something up?  What are you seeing with the Pertronics
>set-up.  Have I got something set up wrong?
>
>Cecil Mills
>Cocoa, Fl.

Hi Cecil,
Why not do some fundamental troubleshooting and fault isolation?  Just swap
the points for the Pertronix and see if the problem moves to the other
car.  If not, then it MIGHT be the coil, but I doubt it.  You could always
move that too.  If it stays with the car then you have to look elsewhere,
like PatioMatt says.  You will need to retime the engine.  And you should
know that if you statically time the Pertronix, it WILL be off.  This is
because of the delay in the Pertronix switching circuits.

-- Larry