Value increases, was: <VV> Greenbrier and corvair values (long)

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 25 14:51:40 EST 2005

Funny this post and thread should be up.  I just finished a conversation
with a friend, non-Corvair owner, but part of our gang, and coming to the
convention.  We were talking about the type of people and the different
"groups" of Corvair owners we were going to see at our first convention.  I
think the biggest change I've seen in the 6/7 years I've now been involved
in Corvairs is a decrease in the percentage of cheap-skate "Transportation"
'vair owners, as I tend to think of them.  The other  groups (and this is
WAY over simplified) being Stock Restorers, Racers and Mod Restorers.  While
low priced parts serves all of these groups, higher priced Corvairs and
their parts only discourages the "Transportation" 'vair owners, and while
I'll probably offend some folks with this comment, what's wrong with seeing
the "Transportation" segment get squeezed out a bit?  This group buys 'vairs
cheap, does minimal work, (in many cases making a quality resto more
difficult if the car ever gets to somebody that is truely interested in
saving a 'vair) and flogs the car to within an inch of it's life.  This
"group" I should mention, are IMO, the least likely to support CORSA and
it's efforts as well.  Is the Corvair hobby changing?  "Yes" I think so.  Is
it a change for the better?  Again "Yes" I think so.

Have the Main Vendors increased the selection of products they are offering?
If the answer if "Yes" then that bodes well for the hobby.

Is there an overall increase in the number of vendors?  If the answer if
"Yes" then this too bodes well for the hobby.

Are Corvair values increasing?  If the answer if "Yes" then I believe this
too is a good thing.  Restoring any car is expensive, both in terms of
dollars and time (and time IS money).  If top Corvair values had stayed
around $8-10K there would be a huge disincentive to doing a quality
restoration (such as yours Norm, very nice btw) to a Corvair, and things
would pretty much be limited to the backyard bondo jobs of the
"Transportation" group, with the exception of those select few that just
loved their Corvair and were willing to do a quality resto regardless of
what it may be worth when they were done.  However, if values get up into
the $15-20K range and you do spend some money to do a quality resto, even if
you don't want to sell it, you can at least be assured on not loosing your
shirt if an accident happened and your 'vair was wrecked in some tragic
manner.

With the skyrocketing cost of Classic Cars these days they are getting more
and more exposure, which brings our Corvairs into the fringes of the
spotlight as well.  Even if Corvair values go up, they are still a
relatively inexpensive Classic Car to get into, which is a good thing.  And
the farther we get away from 1965, Mr. Nader and USAAS, the more people will
become interested in Corvairs.  (Has anybody else noticed LESS people
telling them about 'ol Ralphie lately?)

Just my .02.  Flame suit on.

Regards,
Joel