Value increases, was: <VV> Greenbrier and corvair values (long)

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Fri Mar 25 18:26:59 EST 2005

I think we're dealing with a couple of factors here, and both are value
relative to cost. One is whether value goes up faster than the cost of
restoration. The other is whether value goes up faster than the rest of
the market. The former actually brings restorers into the hobby, as the
cars become worth restoring. The latter is what happened to the various
muscle and pony cars as each were "discovered" by collectors. Suddenly
they became high-priced, and that tends to drive out those who can least
afford them. I think what we want is an increase in value that's
relative to the rest of the market, without having the cost of their
restoration become unaffordable.

I think why the Corvair has remained so "affordable" is because it
hasn't attracted a sudden market increase in value, like the muscle and
pony cars have experienced. Meanwhile, parts have remained relatively
plentiful, which has held down inflation to reasonable levels. I think
the Corvair's sour public reputation has been a blessing in this respect.

-Mark