<VV> battery area question

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 26 18:49:27 EST 2005

In '66 there were 6 individual caps on the top of the battery.  Two
rectangular plastic caps fit over the top of those - 3 under each.  There
were two hoses, one from each rectangular cap which ran down and out - to
the bottom left side of the car.  Have you ever seen the "cutaway" pic of a
'65?  It is pretty clear in that.  '65 had a rubber grommet.  From what I
read here, '66 just had two holes in the metal with no grommet.

SOME (a small portion - not most) of the heat (to the heater box - where the
blower fan is) comes off the top side of the engine.  If your battery is
vented (which I doubt), you run the risk of sucking some minute amount of
battery vapors into the heater system.  If you only drive in summer months,
it would seem that your exposure would be quite minimal.  How much it takes
to hurt you, I don't know.  If you are really that concerned about it, go
get a new maintenance free battery for your Vair - or exchange it with one
of your civilian cars.

Later, JR