<VV> Re: Arc Gouging with mild steel electrodes

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 26 19:27:27 EST 2005

Arjay:

Effective carbon arc gouging requires DC current.

The carbon electrode is set on DC Straight Polarity and it uses compressed
air to remove the base material.

If you bend the 6011 electrode to cause it to be at a 90 degree angle from
the electrode holder, you
can move along the material with a paint scraping action (15 degrees off the
surface) to physically remove metal, but
current levels must be in the 200 amp range (1/8 electrode) with a rapid
movement back and forth in the
direction of travel. Do not lay the rod flat as the coating is electrically
conductive.

If you have DC power, 6010 set on DCSP is the best gouging electrode there
is. Use the same technique
as described above. This works better because the coating is non conductive,
so you can lay the electrode completely
flat on the substrate. Just use a technique like you are scraping paint.

I hope this helps.

LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE