<VV> Tire gurus - What kind of tires do I have?

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 23:06:34 EST 2005

Thanks to all who replied, both on list and off.
Looks like the tires are all Bias-ply.

To clear up a few questions that were asked by various
respondents:

The "D" really is a "D", not an "R".  I am familiar
with P185 80R-13's (that is what I buy when I buy
tires).

The word "radial" did not appear anywhere on the tire
(front/back, large print / small print)

These tires came on the car (a 1962 Monza Coupe) I
just bought.

I haven't done any carbon dating, but there is no
evidence of dry rot, they seem soft.  I believe they
were  purchased fairly recently.

The tires were marked:
Front: P185/80D-13
Rear: D78-13

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on