<VV> Re: Battery area question

NOSVAIR at aol.com NOSVAIR at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 10:43:18 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/27/2005 7:27:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,

> Joe,
>
> The vented battery caps were STANDARD on ALL '65-9 Corvairs, and meant
> to vent battery vapors out of the air stream of the heater. The Corvair,
> by virtue of its design, was the only car to use them, and has been
> forgotten by every battery maker since. So really, when we don't have
> the batteries vented per factory design, we are risking whatever made
> the engineers design the venting system in the first place. Oddly
> enough, early Corvairs don't use a venting system, so my guess is that
> the system was just overkill. Particularly since few of us anymore make
> much use of the heater anyway.
>
> -Mark

  Mark,
  Battery venting was first introduced on Corvairs in '64...or maybe '63.
Shown in the '64 assembly manual and using the same 3 gang vent caps, 2 hoses
ran rearward and exited the engine compartment through a hole in the rear panel
of the battery box.  They are rarely are seen on Corvairs these days because
the vent cap configuration doesn't fit on many non-Delco type 53 batteries
(different spacing).
  As for the venting practice being forgotten, I thought you owned a Cadillac
Alante?  Delco made (and still makes) their maintenance free design batteries
with small rectangular vent tubes so outside venting hoses could be attached.
 In the case of the Alante, it's battery location inside the passenger
compartment made venting rather important.

Bruce Webster
'60 569
'61 727
'64 927