<VV> battery area question

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 27 11:33:44 EST 2005

The early cars had the steel fan.  The "problem" was discovered when the
plastic fan was about to go into use.  The acid reacted with the plastic.
The magnesium fan was then used instead of the plastic fan.  But, the
incident awakened the engineers to the fact that battery acid fumes could
potentially enter the passenger area and so the vents were used on the later
cars.  Had they though of it sooner, I imagine that they would have put
those vents in the early cars as well.  Keep in mind that the problem was
essentially discovered more or less by accident when a voltage regulator
allowed overcharging on a long trip.

Later, JR