<VV> battery area question

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 11:42:30 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/27/05 12:33:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca writes:

> Have I got this ass-backwards, or not.
>
> The vented battery was because the gases could react with the magnesium fan.
> Or was it that they tried a plastic fan and the battery gases reacted with
> the plastic; which is why they settled on magnesium?
>
> Regards,
> Joel

Joel,
You've got it "inside out".
The Delrin (plastic) fan was to be introduced on the 1962  Corvairs, but the
outgassing of the battery caused Chev to replace the delrin fan with the 16
vane metal fan. The magnesium fan was introduced in 1964 to inprove fanbelt life
and had nothing at all to do with the outgassing problem.
Regards,
Bob Helt