<VV> Tire gurus

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 11:59:55 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/27/05 9:03:36 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
airvair at richnet.net writes:

> BTW if you look on the speedo housing label on a late model, it will see
> that it is labeled as factory-rated for 825 revolutions per mile, which
> translates into a rolling diameter of 24.44 inches. Just try to find a
> 185/80R-13 tire listed as having THAT rolling diameter! (And FYI, I once
> checked an authentic set of 7.00-13's for rolling diameter, and they
> came within just a few feet of being dead-on in a measured 5 miles. Sure
> must have been a true 24.44 inches in rolling diameter.)

Mark,
I fully agree on the physical appearance of the 7.00s looking larger, but as
I said the actual specs show nearly identical revs per mile for these two
tires. (You're goinging to argue with the specs?)

Also you and I both know that Chevrolet, like all other 1960s car
manufacturers, designed their speedometers to read fast. So the 825 can't be used for a
true speed representation. Revs per mile is the only true way to show
equivalency.
Regards,
Bob Helt